Fresh herbs, real butter…it doesn’t get much better. Julia Child said, ” With enough butter, anything is good!” Oh, so true. Many people are afraid of butter, but it is natural and real, so moderation is the key! That is why this is such a great trick — a little butter, some yumalicious herbs for extra flavor and you will be cooking like a pro and controlling the fat in your dish.
Fresh herbs are a premium in the grocery store and they often don’t last. And if you are like me and grow your own you need to find new ways to use them later. This is a quick way to preserve them and use them as you need them.
Easy ideas for use include:
- A small pat on top of your grilled steak as it rests
- Use on veggies — corn on the cob is especially delicious
- Tuck under the skin of your turkey for Thanksgiving
- Make a quick pan sauce — saute two chicken breasts , deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of white wine. Reduce and add a pat of herb butter at the end and you will get a delicious sauce.
Gather your supplies — Butter, herbs and ice cube trays . I am using a Pampered Chef herb tray for freezing.
Add chopped herbs to softened butter and fold gently.
Fill container with softened herb butter mixture. Smooth off top and edges. Cover and freeze.
Remove from ice cube tray and store in freezer safe bag or container. Perfect to add on top of a steak, use to make a sauce, or add to hot veggies. Be creative!
- 1 softened stick of real butter
- ¼ cup of finely chopped herbs -- I like Rosemary, sage and/or Thyme
- By hand, beat butter until soft, gently fold in herbs.
- Put into ice tray and freeze.
- Store in freezer until use.
For other herb ideas check out my blog at: http://www.farmgirlcookn.com/saving-summer-in-a-jar/